In celebration of the ten-year anniversaries of three major corporate citizenship campaigns, here are ten qualities that a built-to-last sustainable citizenship program must have:
1. Brand Focus: Deeply understand your organization, including goals, assets and challenges. Select a cause that is aligned with your corporate goals and is core to the brand.
2. Connected Leadership: The most powerful programs are “leader-led.” Consumers want to see values-based leadership from companies and brands, with a long-term commitment to addressing societal issues.
3. Thoughtful Construction: Start with program depth versus scale. Build authentic and credible long-term plans and strategies that maximize the impact your investment can make.
4. Integrated Measurement: That which gets measured gets done. Incorporate measurement into all phases of program design and activation, with balanced metrics for social and business impacts.
5. Employee Involvement: Whenever possible, turn employees and/or volunteers into ambassadors. Include them in program development as well as execution.
6. Multidimensional Engagement: Partner with NGOs for credibility and content; with customers, consumers, communities and others to fuel movements to advance the issue.
7. Local Customization: Powerful and lasting initiatives must have programmatic components and partner options that can be tailored for local adoption.
8. Shared Ownership: Create degrees of freedom for individual consumer/volunteer activation within a set framework, in order to give appropriate amounts of “ownership” away. Enabling others to act independently can build bridges, passion and impact.
9. Authentic Narration: Storytelling is key to building emotion and engagement. Find the stories internally (from your employees, volunteers) and externally (from beneficiaries, consumers) and tell them viscerally and visually.
10. Continuous Innovation: Constantly evolve program elements to stay relevant, maintaining careful focus on your program’s original vision and goals. Remember that goals are long-term, strategies mid-term and tactics short-term.
We take your information very seriously. Nothing will ever be shared or posted without your consent
We take your information very seriously. Nothing will ever be shared or posted without your consent.